What is Potential?
Potential can be defined as hidden, dormant or unused talents, strengths or abilities that may be developed and lead to future success or usefulness.
Knowing your potential
Everyone has got a potential, the problem is usually identifying what it is. Any of the following ways or a combination of them can point you in the right direction.
- Be aware of what comes easy to you: Identify activities that are easy for you to do but difficult for others.
- Listen to others: People have the ability to see qualities of us that we might not see in ourselves.
- Know what you enjoy most “genuinely”: Going with the tide has become a trend in present day society. There are certain things you enjoy doing, not because others are doing it but because you really enjoy doing them.
- What is your go to topic in a conversation?: There are some topics you can talk on for hours or days about without getting tired, or some topics that when called to contribute you have loads of facts. Those topics sum up things you are interested and passionate about.
- Ask God: You can’t go wrong with asking God about your potential. He created you and is aware of what you are capable of.
Releasing and using your potential
Knowing your potential is not enough, you need to develop it to ensure success. The following pointers are helpful:
- Establish a relationship with God: A relationship with God enables you understand your purpose in life and your function in His grand scheme.
- Believe in yourself: Believe in yourself and be passionate. Self-belief enables you to tap into your inner hidden abilities and passion pushes you to do more and not rest on your previous successes.
- Change your thought pattern: Proverbs 23:7 says that “As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he”. Let go of the mindset that some heights are unattainable or certain things are unachievable.
- Be creative and responsible: Be on the lookout for resources that help in the development of your potential. Constant learning aids in improving on your previous knowledge of your potential. Remember to be creative and unique. There is no need copying exactly what everyone is doing.
- Exercise your gift: Maximise opportunities to use your abilities. Decide that no job is too small.
- Install an anti-virus system: Prepare your mind early enough for various forms of opposition that may arise in the course of using your potential. Learn from your mistakes and move forward.
- Share your potential: Collaborate with individuals with the same skill set as yourself or in the same industry your potential exists in.
- Trust God: Trust in God’s ability to make His purpose for your life come to pass and make you to do more daily.